Frederic Reamer, co-author of Teens In Crisis: How the Industry Serving Struggling Teens Helps and Hurts Our Kids was tapped to be the blogger on adolescent issues for the recently aired PBS TV series This Emotional Life.
The series aired in January in three parts that explored improving our social relationships, learning to cope with depression and anxiety, and becoming more positive, resilient individuals. Each episode weaves together the compelling personal stories of ordinary people and the latest scientific research
In his last post Reamer discusses the seven most common mistakes to avoid when selecting a program or school.
1. Picking a Program Quickly and Impulsively
2. Selecting a Program Primarily on the Basis of Cost
3. Selecting a Program That is Not Designed to Meet the Teenager’s Needs
4. Selecting a Program Whose Methods Are Not Grounded in Sound Research
5. Sending a Child to a Residential Program for the Wrong Reasons
6. Avoiding Out-of-Home Placement When It Is the Right Option
7. Selecting a Program because It Is Close to Home
For the full blog posting and an explanation of these seven mistakes click here.