In Graphic Women: Life Narrative and Contemporary Comics, author Hillary L. Chute explores the visual and verbal techniques of five acclaimed female cartoonists: Marjane Satrapi, Aline Kominsky-Crumb, Alison Bechdel, Phoebe Gloeckner, and Lynda Barry.
Think you know your graphic women? Put your knowledge to the test with our quiz based on the book.
Click here for the answers.
1. What does Chute choose to label the material she analyzes instead of the standard term graphic novel?
a. graphic story
b. illustrated novel
c. graphic narrative
d. feminist cartoons
2. From what perspective do all of the examined authors at some point write?
a. a child
b. a man
c.. the mother of the narrator
d. a fly on the wall
3. Where does the word cartoon come from?
a. the French word pomme
b. the Italian word cartone
c. the Latin word caveat
d. the Spanish word humoristica
4. Who produced the first book-length stories with combined word and image?
a. Max Beerbohm in the 1890s
b. Mort Drucker in 1956
c. Alex Gard in 1916
d. Rodolphe Töpffer in the 1830s
5. What was the first American newspaper to publish a comic strip, titled The Yellow Kid?
a. New York World
b. New York Times
c. New York Journal
d. New York Post
6. Which publication first used in print the term graphic novel to describe the new form of underground comics that appeared on the scene in the 1960s?
a. Bill Spicer in Graphic Story World
b. Max Beerbohm in New York World
c. Alex Gard in a letter to the editor in New York Journal
d. Richard Kyle in a newsletter for the Amateur Press Association
7. A common theme in the work of many female cartoonists is an explicit look at female sexuality. Which two of the five discussed in Graphic Women explore that theme in their work more than others?
a. Alison Bechdel and Marjane Satrapi
b. Alison Bechdel and Lynda Barry
c. Aline Kominsky-Crumb and Phoebe Gloeckner
d. Aline Kominsky-Crumb and Marjane Satrapi
8. Where did the idea for Lynda Barry’s work Naked Ladies! Naked Ladies! Naked Ladies! Coloring Book come from?
a. a cabaret show in Vegas
b. a desk of nudie playing cards bought in Vegas
c. the book Intercourse by Andrea Dworkin
d. a conversation with an ex-boyfriend
9. Where was Marjane Satrapi’s Persepolis first published in the United States?
b. The New Yorker
c. The Paris Review
d. Ms. magazine
10. How many books does Bruce Bechdel read or mention in Fun Home, by Alison Bechdel?